Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dollar Bin(Not So) Splurge of the Week-Devil's Due(2014)

By Eric Polk-
My big 2014 resolution was to watch more recently released horror films. Looking back on my 'best of' lists, I realized that it, at times, can be awkward to place a movie from the 70s or 80s on a countdown of my favorites from the year I'd be writing about. Therefore, I start with Devil's Due(though technically I started with Paranormal Activity:The Marked Ones but got sick thanks to all the shaky cam work).

Directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, this found-footage movie takes the well-traveled road of Rosemary's Baby and puts it into the now. A lost honeymooning couple in the Dominican Republic wind up at a bar courtesy of a very helpful cabbie and then, while knocked out, the wife becomes part of a satanic ritual in which..surprise, surprise...she's impregnated.

From there, it goes into A-Z as the wife has complications which include a deer smorgasbord, a major bout of road rage in a parking lot, and her deepening voice. All whilst the husband, who may want to lay off the filming, tries to figure it all out. There's not a whole lot more I can explain about the movie because it has much depth as a One Direction song.

If this weren't found footage, I may have enjoyed this more. The camerawork is just so damn annoying but at least I didn't get sick this time. Plus, as mentioned earlier, there really needs to be a more in depth look into this cult which is why it would have been better if it were a regular movie. While not entirely terrible(there were a couple of decent scare scenes), this movie can easily be put away to the dustbin of middling movies. And 2014 gets off to a mediocre start

No comments: