Monday, April 30, 2012

DBH Article:Eric's Favorite Horror Films:5-1

By Eric Polk-
Didn't get a chance to watch what I planned to watch this weekend so thought I'd just get right into the second half of my favorite horror films. I'm sure they'll be a disagreement on what I chose as #1.





5)Psycho-THE prototype slasher film(at least here in the states). There's not much more than can be said about a disturbed man and his mother except there is so much else going on beyond the famous shower scene. You have a lady on the run, a man tormented by his dead mother. Amazing.








4)A Nightmare on Elm Street-Arguably, Freddy Krueger is THE biggest horror icon of all time. Not only has he dominated the horror genre, but the mainstream pop culture as well. This movie is tense, gory, memorable. And over the past couple of years, I've come to see what happens to poor Nancy as she's tormented by the man of her dreams. An All-American Girl turned to nuts.


3)Suspiria-I think I love this movie more for the music than the actual story(though I love that as well). Whenever I'm writing a horror story and a scary scene is approaching, I always try to sync that to the movie's theme song.  Dario Argento's masterpiece is a gorgeous film that entwines the supernatural with one of the most horrific opening kill scenes ever on film.







2)Zombie(1979)-Another case of being hooked by the music. But unlike most other films in the vastly mined zombie subgenre, Lucio Fulci's own treasure takes the zombies for a bit of a different turn, rising from a voodoo curse as opposed to radiation. So many creeptacular moments make this film extremely memorable.




1)The Exorcist-Where can you begin? A priest's crisis of faith. A little girl possessed by the devil. The disturbing things her possession causes. The exorcism itself. This is the only horror film that still scares me after 36 years of being alive. That's why it's my favorite.

There you have it ,Reaplings. Let the hate mail begin,lol.






No comments: