Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Women In Horror Who Inspire Me Everyday

Women in Horror Month is a time to recognize the amazing females who stand apart from all the men in the genre of horror and to pay homage to the ground-breaking women who paved the way for a new generation of ladies, including myself, to enter this amazing genre. This list is a small gesture from me to say thank you to all the women who have made me the horror loving girl I am today.

Gina Philips
While she's best known for her role in Jeepers Creepers, I love her because no matter how bad of a film she's in, she always gives one hell of a performance. Take for instance Jennifer's Shadow (AKA The Chronicles of the Raven). If it wasn't for her amazing acting, I would have never made it through that movie.

Elsa Lanchester
The Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite film, and Elsa steals the show every time I watch it. Even though she was only in the film for less that ten minutes, her role as The Bride is one of if not the most iconic female role in all of the horror genre.

Elvira (AKA Cassandra Peterson)
This woman is the sole reason I ever created the "Rhonny Reaper" persona I use when I write. Her wit, charm, and crude humor have built her one of the greatest horror host empires in the biz (not to mention her amazing set of twins!). She's a gal who knows what she's got and knows how to use it and I simply adore everything about her.

Patricia Quinn
Best known for her role as Magenta in the iconic Rocky Horror Picture Show, Patricia Quinn has been one of my favorite actresses since I saw her in Witching Time from Hammer's House of Horror (I have it on VHS hosted by Elvira...best VHS ever!). Her facial expressions and her seductive mannerisms on screen make me smile every time I watch a film with her in it (in fact, after I post this, I'm going to go watch my VHS of Witching Time).

Sheri Moon Zombie
While some people have said that Sheri just piggybacks on the success of her husband, I beg to differ. While her husband can get her roles in his films, it's her acting and on screen presence that brings her characters alive. Take the role of Baby Firefly for instance. In House of 1000 Corpses, baby was more child-like and immature. Then in The Devils Rejects, Sheri shines a whole new (and even more sadistic) light on the character, revamping it and showing that she has got the goods 100%.

Rose McGowan
Her combination of beauty and talent makes her a force to be reckoned with. Starting with Scream, Rose has been on fire. From Charmed to Grindhouse, Phantoms to Machete, she proves over and over again no matter what the role, she can pull it off with sex appeal and style!

Shawnee Smith
Shawnee is just badass, plain and simple. No matter is you love or hate the Saw franchise, you can't deny that this is a woman you don't want to fuck with. Her range of emotions and her amazing expressions make her one of my favorite characters in all of horror. And not only can she act, but she can sing too.


Kathy Bates
Annie Wilkes. That's all I have to say.

No comments: