Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dollar Bin Film - "Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla"


Two goofy entertainers meet a mad scientist on a jungle island.

I got this film a while back from Bill over at Radiation-Scarred Reviews and have been saying I'll review it for the longest time...well here it is! I loved this film. It's just so funny and entertaining that you can't not enjoy yourself while watching it! Bela Lugosi is brilliantly funny as the wacky mad doctor who wants to find the link between man and ape by experimenting on the new visitors to the island. Charlita plays the beautiful Nona, who keeps distracting the doc with her beauty and charm, and makes him very jealous of Duke, played by Duke Mitchell. Sammy Petrillo's imitation of Jerry Lewis had me rolling on the floor it was so spot on! (Lewis actually threatened to sued him for breach of copyright, yeah it was that good!). The reason I loved this movie so much is it never took itself seriously and Bela Lugosi looked as if he really enjoyed acting every minute of this film. Plus, if you know anything about the pair of Duke and Sammy and their live stand-up performances they used to do, you'll adore it even more. It's a well made, well written, and pretty well acted horror comedy that will keep you laughing and hooked for the whole ride. It is genuinely funny and lighthearted and I think that if you give it a view, you'll fall in love too.

5 comments:

B-Sol said...

A very fun movie! Those guys were such Martin & Lewis knockoffs though, I'm not surprised they got sued.

Rhonny Reaper said...

I a;ways thought Sam was a more convincing Jerry than Duke was a Dean, no one could really be a Dean though now could they :)

B-Sol said...

Hahaha hell no!

Jeremy [Retro] said...

anything bela...

Armando H. said...

It's a pretty cool movie, I have some rare and awesome pics of the movie that I got from the Massacre Mafia Style DVD.