Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dollar Bin Film - "School of Death"


The girls of an orphanage are being sold by the sadistic matrons to a badly disfigured doctor to be used in experimental brain surgeries.

Everything looked good about this movie, the plot, the time period it was made (70's), and other Spanish horror films that have really impressed me...unfortunately, looks can be very deceiving. I was excited to watch this because the 70's were a time to push the limits of gore, nudity, and just plain over-the-top-ness in films, but this film did none of that. It didn't have much nudity, not really any gore, and it was just so tame! Not to say it was all bad, the film did have an ok atmosphere and some good moments throughout, but compares to other films of the time, it's just not as good. Now a lot of people like this tame, more atmospheric type of film, and sometimes they can be better than others, but I love the grindhouse sleaze of the 70's and this film just doesn't have it. I say rent it for a night, or pick it up at a yardsale. It's not a totally bad film, but it just isn't the 70's horror I've come to love.

1 comment:

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

The older I get, the tamer I get. This might just be more up my alley these days!