Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Corpse S. Chris


Corpse S. Chris unearths the weird and unusual in the realms of horror. His blog, The Horror Host Graveyard, gives props to the ghouls and fiends who stay up late with you to host your favorite b-movies. From Ghoulardi to Vampira, Elvira to Penny Dreadful, he's got em all. This time, Corpse S. Chris is in the Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight.

Q: How did you start your blog?

A: A few years ago I discovered the show Ghoul A Go-Go on public access and looked them up on the internet. During my search, I discovered there were many horror hosts all over the country that are still on TV and the internet. Most of the websites I found were done by or about an individual hosts. I could only find two websites that had information about different hosts and those did not give me all of what I was looking for. What I wanted to see was new videos, new hosts, merchandise reviews, downloads, and more. Since I was finding these things by doing various internet searches, I decided to start the blog to compile and present my finds to others who might be interested. Also, it was to move my host web viewing guide from my MySpace to the site.

Q: Being from Cleveland, I love Ghoulardi. Who is your all time favorite Horror Host or Hostess?

A: There are so many to choose from, past and present, and my choices seems to keep changing. Some of the classic hosts that I like are Zacherley, the orginal Svengoolie, Vampira, Deadly Earnest, and so many others. Of the new ones, there are so many great ones now that to choose is almost impossible. Among those Penny Dreadful, Ormon Grimsby, Karlos Borloff, Dr. Sarcofiguy, The Bone Jangler, Jebediah Buzzard, Professor EmCee Square, and Mr. Lobo are among ones I always try watch, but I find something to like in all I see, though some take a little while to understand their approach.

Q: Could you tell us more about the Horror Host Graveyard Trading Card set and how you came up with them?

A: Again, the cards were something I couldn't find. Some hosts have had a set dedicated to them, but, with the exception of a series of promo cards from Scary Monsters Magazine, there hadn't been a multi-host set of cards. In keeping with the idea of my site promoting horror hosts, I though a set of different hosts would get people interested in hosts they might not have heard of otherwise.
After talking to Dr. Gangrene about what I was thinking of doing, he became a sort of adviser who I would bounce ideas off of. He also became the first host to agree to be on a card. I then approached hosts to be on the remaining cards and eventually got the ten for the set. Working directly with the hosts made sure that I got the best quality pictures and subsequently got them to autograph cards to be randomly put into sets.
Sometime after the set was completed, Mr. Lobo surprised me by doing a retro type wrapper design for the set, which was printed trading card sized in color, which is included in each set.

Q: What's coming up next for the Horror Host Graveyard?

A: What's up next is the second series of cards, with all different hosts and a possible magazine, as well as continuing presenting the newest hosts, information, reviews, and any other horror host related information I can find.

No comments: