Monday, December 21, 2009

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Hayes Hudson


I recently did a fun little interview with Hayes Hudson, author of Hayes Hudson's House of Horror His blog is dedicated to Horror, Exploitation, and Cult films. It's full of horror news, reviews, and info and definitely worth checking out and following. His awesomeness in horror blogging puts Hayes Hudson in the Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight.

Q: How did you get into horror films?

A: I don't remember why, but I was always fascinated with the box art of horror films at my local video store. I would always go to that section and dream of the day I could watch these wonderful films! The rule was I could only get PG or PG-13 rated films, so usually a Horror film was not an option. Until..one day while looking at all the horror movies, something caught my eye. Instead of one of the red R stickers, I saw an orange PG-13 sticker staring back at me. It was on the slipcase to a little film called EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN! It had obviously been put in the wrong slipcase, probably by some teenager that wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, or just didn't care. Either way, I showed my Mom it was PG-13 so was able to rent it and the rest is history!! Bruce Campbell changed my life!!!

Q: How did your blog get started?

A: Back in April of this year, I caught a movie on TV called ZOMBIETOWN. It was a great flick and I wanted to tell someone about it right then. I then remembered reading about BC's Horror Movie a Day blog (http://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/) and thought, that is what I want to do!! But not only do I discuss movies, but also, books, toys, comics, whatever as long as it is somehow related to the Horror genre.

Q: Where do you envision your blog and yourself going in the future?

A: I don't see the blog really changing much, I am realistic about it in terms that I know I won't be quitting my day job to focus on Horror blogging!! But who knows, if seen by the right people, it could lead to other projects such as writing reviews/articles for other Horror sites or magazines. I would like to see my blog grow a little faster than it has. As of this interview I am on 34 followers. I would love to see that number spike and for 4H (my nifty new term for Hayes Hudson's House of Horror) to become one of the greatest Horror blogs on the net...right up there with DOLLAR BIN HORROR, which I consider one of THE best blogs going!

Q: Whats been your favorite post to do to date?


A: I guess my favorite posts are my Monday night posts that I do of the Horror DVD's coming out the following day (Tuesday). It is fun to find all the films and I find a trailer for each one and link it to the title of the film in the list. I love horror movie trailers so it is fun to just go down the list and watch all the trailer for the movies coming out that week.

Q: Fav and Least Fav horror films ever?

A: Faves would have to be EVIL DEAD 1 &2, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (original, of course), RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, DEAD ALIVE, CEMETERY MAN and the FRIDAY THE 13th series. I also love the old grindhouse rape/revenge flicks such as LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (again, the original) and I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.
Least Faves would be any of the Japanese remake "Horror" films, such as THE GRUDGE, THE RING, etc. I just don't find those scary so they tend to bore me.

Thanks for the questions!! I enjoyed the interview and love the Dollar Bin Horror blog!!!

2 comments:

I Like Horror Movies said...

I can TOTALLY relate to the boxes at the video store, I swear to god the CHILDS PLAY 2, MONKEY SHINES, and HELLRAISER 3 boxes gave me nightmares for years.

Love 4H, thanks for posting the interview Rhonny!

the jaded viewer said...

Hayes..I think you need to see the other Japanese movies ahem Takashi Miike flicks