Monday, November 30, 2009

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Eric Polk

Eric Polk is an American writer of space opera, contemporary horror, and slipstream police procedurals. He is the author of the short stories, "Rhapsody In Black" and "From A Serpent's Kiss...". Eric was born in small town outside of Pittsburgh and spent his early years out on the west coast until he moved to West Virginia at the age of 13 where he lives to this day. His primary inspiration from writing initially came from the works of Stephen King and through King, became a devotee of Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, and Ed McBain. Currently, he is working on a slipstream police procedural novella. When he's not practicing the craft of writing, he follows his beloved Pittsburgh sport teams and spends time with his girlfriend. Today, he's in the Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight.

Q: How did you get into writing?

A: I got into writing a few years ago when I listened to the audio book version of Stephen King's On Writing. For years, I had visions in my head I never told anyone about for fear of being thrown in the looneybin (L.O.L). Growing up, my english grades in school were always good but I never really made a connection between that and my imagination. Through On Writing, the wall separating the two entities collapsed.

Q: You say your primary inspiration comes from the legendary Mr. Stephen King. What novel or story of his is your favorite or most inspiring?

A: Wow! It's so hard to pick just one of his stories, but the two novels that resonate with me the most are The Stand and Christine. The Stand because it's the ultimate battle between good and evil plus I love a good apocalypse tale. Christine, on the other hand, I relate to Arnie Cunningham a lot because I was in the same boat growing up as an ugly duckling. Sadly, I never had a car as cherry as his.

Q: You have written two really good short stories, "Rhapsody In Black" and my fav of the two, "From A Serpent's Kiss...". Tell me where did you get your concepts from?

A: Thank you for your compliment. The funny thing about Rhapsody was up until then I had never read a pure mystery story. I kept seeing this image of a beautiful girl laying dead in a posh hotel room and standing over the body was a being dressed in standard detective garb, only he was an alien. Serpent's came from a dark place in my life. I had just gotten over a divorce and not too long afterwards, I met and fell in love with a wonderful woman. Unfortnately because of my own shortcomings, it didn't work out and Serpent's is a manifest of my anger from that period.

Q: Your currently working on your first novella. Could you tell the readers a little bit about it?

A: Sure, it's entitled A Reluctant Glow and takes place in the fictious Beta City. It's a murder mystery set against the backdrop of a political campaign. I hope it answers the questions Rhapsody In Black left the reader. I'd venture to say it's Ed McBain meets slipstream.

Q: Where can the readers find more info about you? Is there anything you want them to check out?

A: Check me out on facebook or follow me on twitter at Steel6619. I like to recommend to writers to read the influences of their influences. Thanks to Stephen King, I got into the stories of Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Peter Straub, and Ed McBain.

No comments: