Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - The Puppet Monster Massacre

A group of teens are challenged to spend a night in the Wagner mansion on the edge of town. Little do they know the owner has concocted a monstrosity in the basement and plans to make the hapless teens the creature's first big meal.

I have been wanting to see this for a while now since I heard about it at Cinema Wasteland a few years back (didn't get it then cause I ran out of money...shit happens when I drink). Luckily, Dustin Mills (writer, director, and character voice of the film) was at the latest OSS zombie walk and I finally had a chance to grab a signed copy. I went into this film already having an image in my head of what I thought the film would be...one of those "so bad, it's good" types. But I was way off...the film is actually GOOD good! Like, REALLY well done and not funny because it's bad, but funny because it's actually fucking FUNNY! Yes, it is an indie horror comedy and yes, it's all puppets and CGI backgrounds, but it's not a cheese-fest at all. It's very well written, the characters are hilarious (ESPECIALLY Grandpa), and the puppets look fantastic (even the puppet boobs were impressive)! I actually had to pause the DVD to catch my breath when Grandpa first came on screen cause I lost it! And the penguin...definitely NOT from happy feet! Oh, and the bunnies...I can't even say it cause I don't want to spoil anything, but I almost fell off my couch. I love how the dvd extras have 3 commentaries and the rejected puppet ideas for the monster so you can see and hear how things came together. Plain and simple, if you haven't seen The Puppet Monster Massacre, you should...no, you must! You can get the dvd for just $10 from http://dmp.storenvy.com/ and it's worth every damn penny!


P.S. This guy almost made me piss my pants twice...best fucking part of the movie right here!

1 comment:

Party Slashers said...

This movie looks AWESOME!! I can only imagine the difficulty with persuading others to get this movie made. What a unique concept, thank you for making me aware of this gem!