Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Maniac (2013)

As he helps a young artist with her upcoming exhibition, the owner of a mannequin shop's deadly, suppressed desires come to the surface.

Now we all know I'm not a big remake person...but this film...I HAD to see it! Why? Because if you know me at all, you know I have an addiction to Elijah Wood. I posted about this film months ago. I said then it would be good. What response did I get? Mainly it was, "I'm not sure Elijah Wood can pull this off" or statements similar to that. Even my partner in crime, Mr. Erik Polk, said something to this affect...Guess what he messaged me after he saw the film? He actually said he was wrong!!! I don't wanna say that I enjoyed the feeling, but let's just say I had to sing I TOLD YOU SO like a little school girl!
Not only was Elijah Wood's portrayal of Frank Zito creepy, sinister, evil, and deranged, the the whole friggin movie was fantastic! The first-person point of view and the clean style of film making compared to the original gave it a completely different feel, which I actually found to be a lot more sinister than the original. The original Frank Zito was dirty, greasy, someone you would expect to have a few bodies in the basement...but not Elijah Wood's Frank Zito. He was young, boyish, almost innocent and pathetic...until you get too close to him. Then he turns into a fucking lunatic and puts your scalp on a mannequin to be used at a later time for...well, you know! The leading ladies of the film were also fantastic actresses and were believable. I would have felt sorry for them if I didn't love Wood so much (that...sounded better in my head...)! The ending was...absolutely INSANE! It was gory, brutal, and almost beautiful in a disgusting, almost LSD trippy kind of way. His decent into madness comes full circle in a glorious splash of blood and limbs! The music was also a fabulous throwback to the 80's horror soundtracks and gave the film a heartbeat, what good music should do in a horror film! Honestly, if you had to ask me right now the best horror film of this year, I'd have to say it's Maniac (or Curse of Chucky...but probably Maniac)! So if you haven't seen it yet or were one of those people who said Wood couldn't do it...YES WOOD CAN! (again, it just sounds dirty when I say his name!)

4 comments:

wardenstokely said...

Hi Rhonny!
Frodo? Aww.. gotta love Elijah! I just wish they had picked a different title! I mean, seriously, do we have to be so literal? It's entertainment for god's sake! It's just mundane, maybe if it was Maniac with a cool subtitle, but it's just Maniac. Period. Duh! Haha. Alas, I'll still have to watch it because....Elijah! Anyway, I dig on your blog, so Congratulations! You are the recipient of the Sunshine Award! So, until next time...Keep those fires stoked!
Eternally yours

Unknown said...

OK, so I JUST watched this last night. I'm planning to write a review on it over on Terrorphoria as well. It was very creepy, and even after all the years of horror movie desensitizing, man, those Brillo pads!

The director definitely nailed the grimy "80's noir" vibe that was present in Drive and Hobo With A Shotgun.

I enjoy your site. Keep up the good work!

Rhonny Reaper said...

Thank you Warden!!! Well it is a remake so they kept the original name. I was sooo good!!! And YES HOLY CRAP ELIJAH YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN DAMN!!! The film was a beautiful blend of new and 80's feel with perfect music to boot!

wardenstokely said...

Plus a great score?! Note to self....Maniac Elijah Dollar Bin Horror! I think I remember watching the original, way back in the day. Track of the Moonbeast--super bad, Midnight Cinephile...Sheez, so many movies, so little time. Thinking I'll call in dead Monday. Hah!