Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dollar Bin Horror Review - Lords of Salem

Heidi, a radio DJ, is sent a box containing a record -- a "gift from the Lords." The sounds within the grooves trigger flashbacks of her town's violent past. Is Heidi going mad, or are the Lords back to take revenge on Salem, Massachusetts?

I have been dying to see this film since it came out (unfortunately it wasn't playing all that close to me so I had to be patient and wait). Now I usually hate doing this...but I read a few reviews of the film before I saw it (yes, I know I write reviews, but I like reading them AFTER I get my own opinion). Now from the reviews I read, one thing was for sure...this was a film you either LOVED or HATED, there wasn't very much gray in between. Luckily for me, I was on the loving it side. Now I can see why some people may not have liked it as much as say The Devil's Rejects. The film has a lot of surreal and demonic imagery that some may not like or even understand (the creatures in the film were specific demons that I did a little research on, which made me love the film's story even more the second time I watched it). It certainly wasn't as straight forward a film as Rejects, but that's the whole reason I loved it! It made you think and want to do a little research, then it made you watch it again and get that ah ha moment. The imagery on screen was just beautifully shot and it had a good mix of using a lot of color when needed and dark gray-ish and red-ish hues during grittier parts. The acting was very well done (and I geeked out seeing Patricia Quinn on screen again) and I really enjoyed the story of the whole film (the back story to why Heidi is the one in the middle of all this was really interesting). The main complaint I saw in other people's reviews was the ending. A lot of them didn't get it or just plain didn't like it. I actually liked the way it ended (Spoiling the fuck out of it right here so if you haven't seen it, skip the next sentence or two) with Heidi giving birth to the Antichrist (yes it looked like an octopus thingy but bear with me) and the image of Heidi as a demonic Mother Mary (or Lilith I like to think) standing upon a mountain naked bodies of the women in Salem who sacrificed themselves in a mass suicide to bring the queen of hell back to Salem (Ok it's safe now). Now I know, some people will hate it no matter what, but if you haven't seen it yet, just try to give it a chance! It's definitely not for everyone but if you love the bizarre and can get with maybe having to watch it twice to catch all of the beautiful subtle messages, this is a great film and a true piece of art. It made me think and I actually learned some things from researching elements in the film. Kudos Mr.Zombie, you've made another great film (now if we could just forget about Halloween 2...)

No comments: