Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - World War Z (Part 1 of a 2 part Review)

United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself.

Hey everyone! It's Rhonny here about to take on the first part of Eric and I's duel reviews of the new film adaption to Max Brooks' novel of the same name, World War Z. I talked to Eric about the film a little over the phone but I haven't heard his full thoughts yet (I'll read them with all of you when he posts his review) but from what I could tell of what he said, I'm pretty sure I liked the film a lot more than he did.

Let me start by saying while the film is based off of the book WWZ, I have a hard time calling it an "adaption" because it varies so much from the book. While both the book and the film talks about events going on all around the world at the time of the outbreak, the book is more fact filled and broad and less of a personal story than the film is. The film centers on one man, his family, and his motivation to keep them save and find a way to stop what is going on. It's as if instead of trying to do a true adaption, which I for one think would be pretty difficult if not done in perhaps a documentary format, the film just focuses on one particular story out of the millions there are all over the world and turns it into a heartfelt look into the emotional toll an event like this can have on a family.

I think Brad Pitt and the rest of the cast does a great job with the acting and that the dialogue of the film felt very real. The whole film would have felt even more real except for the GCI, which I know was unavoidable in certain scenes, but that doesn't mean I gotta like it! There isn't a lot of blood or anything gory at all but the zombies still look dead enough to be effective. The only real negative I can really point out is the ending felt a bit abrupt...and yet long at the same time...let me try to explain without spoiling it. In the end, Brad Pitt's character finds out something important to the plot, then it just goes into flash forward scenes that leads into the actual ending. I thought this part could have been fleshed out a bit more. Then, the flash forward scenes combine with the actual ending scenes. This part I thought was a bit drawn out and could have been cut a little (I hope that kinda explains it...if not see the movie and let me know).

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. I connected with the characters, the film had some genuinely scary scenes even without all the blood and gore, and it has some great action to go with the emotional aspect so everyone can enjoy it. The only other thing I would say is please don't go into the film hoping for a true adaptation or your gonna have a bad time! The film is a good film on it's own merit and is VERY loosely based off of the book, but it is NOT an adaption. Eric will post the second part of this review in a separate post.

No comments: