Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - The Sky Has Fallen

Within a couple of hours, a new disease wipes out almost all of mankind. Trying to avoid infection, people flee to remote locations, but they start seeing mysterious black figures, carrying away the dead and experimenting on them. Now, Lance and Rachel, two survivors determined to fight back, must kill the leader of these creatures before the rest of humanity disappears.

I have mixed feelings toward The Sky Has Fallen. When I first read the plot outline, it sounded very interesting and I was excited to see what the film makers did with it. I'm going to start off with the good.

The film was very well shot and looked beautiful on screen. The special effects were also very well done for such a low budget film. The main thing I liked was the feeling that the story mixed both horror and fantasy aspects. The main antagonists are these demon like creatures who remind me of the ringwraiths from Lord of the Rings (which EVERYONE knows how obsessed I am with LOTR) along with the zombie like creatures they create from their victims who are all here to make everyone suffer. It was definitely a new take on the undead which I very much enjoyed.

Now for the bad. There are two main problems that I felt the film just couldn't overcome. The first was that most of the film is talking, talking, and MORE talking! I really don't think that that much dialog is needed to explain whats going on. I would have rather seen more action and more of the creatures than listen to two people chit chat while humanity is falling all around them. Like I said before, I like the mix of horror and fanasty...I'm just mad there wasn't more of that in the movie! The second thing, which I fear is a downfall of many indie horror films, is the acting. You have two main characters that could be killed at any time and...there is absolutely NO emotion at all on their faces. No fear, no sorrow, just a stone cold face throughout the entire film. Even the romance brewing between the two throughout the film just feels stiff (and not in a good way, if you catch my drift...). The female lead kinda cries once or twice, but even that wasn't convincing. I would have rather seen them over act than not act at all.

I think if the two main characters would have shown some kind of emotion that I could have connected to, I would have loved this film. But since they didn't, all I can say was it's a film with a great concept, but not very exciting to watch. You can judge for yourself and check it out HERE.

Share

No comments: