Thursday, May 24, 2012

DBH Review:The Deadly Spawn(1983)

By Eric Polk-
Warning:I'm about to have an 80s flashback. If you're upset because they made horror films before 1980 and after 1989 and I'm not giving those movies any love today, feel free to move on to another site. 

Disclaimer out of the way, I finally had the chance to see a movie that was a part of the big box movie era of the early to mid-80s. As a youngin', I often walked past the rather grizzly box cover, quaking in fear.



The majority of big box movies often left a sour taste in my mouth. Alien Prey, Class Reunion Massacre, A Virgin Among the Living Dead, for example. When your movie had nothing else back then, you showed a garish picture that said "Please, please, take me to the counter! Part with your .99 cents to enjoy my company for an evening." Hence, I passed on The Deadly Spawn(released under the name Return of the Aliens: The Deadly Spawn or The Return of the Alien's Deadly Spawn as attempts to cash in on the success of Alien)on numerous occasions.

Years roll by, the mom and pop video shops gone the way of my Walkman, 12 seasons of American Idol, five presidential administrations- I finally cave in.  The trailer got to me.  All I have to say is WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I WATCH THIS SOONER!!!!

 A crash-landed alien bearing a very striking resemblance to Seymour of Little Shop of Horrors glory  finds refuge in the basement of a house and grows to monstrous proportions, eating those unlucky enough to venture down. A handful of teenagers and, eventually, old ladies, try to survive the onslaught of the creature and its young.

Now let's talk about the creature for a moment. For a low budget monster, I was very impressed. It was nasty, well-constructed,  fluid, and, if you have non-horror fan in your life, very scary to view.  It is the centerpiece of a film that could have easily been seen on the 2nd part of a drive-in double bill back in the day when drive-ins could get away with showing films such as this.

The characters? Other than the kid, they aren't noteworthy. Just setups for the Seymour look-alike. The gore? WOW! I've seen my share of face munching and skin ripping, but DAMN this was intense! And the ending , though expected, still gave me a shiver. The monster was one bad mo' fo'!

Fortunately, in this digital age, Deadly Spawn has been giving life as a blu-ray release and can be found on a site that rhymes with Moo Cube.

No comments: