Saturday, September 3, 2011

Splurge of the Week: Insidious

A young family makes the terrifying discovery that the body of their comatose son has become a conduit for the supernatural, while his consciousness is held hostage in the dark and insidious realm known as The Further.

I know Eric posted a review of this film a few weeks ago, but I finally had the chance to get my hands on a copy and wanted to share my own personal thoughts of the film. First off, let me say that this film is proof that great original horror is NOT dead! Watching it was like feeling a cool breeze on a 90 something degree day. The plot was interesting and different for a "haunted" film, the acting was well done for the most part, the ghosts (or "entities") were actually creepy (say for the child in the dresser...kinda found him funny), and the action in the second half actually had me jumping (and no, not "fake scare" jumping, but actual frightened jumps)! Leigh Whannell (writer and "Adam" in SAW) and his dorky sidekick were a great bit of comedic relief in the story, but could also be serious and down right unsettling (especially Leigh during the seance scene). The best part of this film was that it really had a great ending that left you wanting more. If there was any downsides to the film, it would be that at points during the first half, I found it to be a bit slow and in certain parts, the relatively low budget of the film (about $1.5 million) shows, but these are trivial things when speaking of a film that had me at the edge of my seat. My final verdict, go to Amazon or wherever you buy your movies and get it NOW!

No comments: