Friday, September 30, 2011

Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments:#70-The Stepfather(1987)

By Eric Polk-
I previously reviewed this movie this past Father's Day so rather than rehash old hash, I will explain why I feel Terry O'Quinn's Stepfather is far superior than Dylan Walsh's Stepfather.

It's simple if you think about it. The mannerisms Terry portrays, sweet All-American Dad one minute, sadistic killer the next, are very convincing to me. Dylan Walsh just seems to catch one beat of the Stepfather character. Terry takes it and makes a beautiful song, he just doesn't bellow and belch fire. The original itself is more well-rounded. Unlike remake, there's actually a decent if not great subplot involving a murder victim's brother chasing down Jerry Blake. If I were a young child, I would be more afraid of Terry than Dylan.

No comments: