Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Faculty - Five Dolla Holla


Why is it The Faculty is one of those films that I can revisit over and over again without ever tiring of the film? Why is it that I find this film so enduring? Could it be the energetic pace? Could it be the hip, happening cast mixed with some old pros? Could it be the in jokes and humor? Could it be the opening sequence that had me clutching my chair's armrest due to some heart stopping suspense? These are all elements that I enjoyed about The Faculty, but digging a little deeper and sometimes fully getting across why you enjoyed a film so much, at times, can be a little difficult.


With The Faculty, a film about an alien invasion that is sweeping a high school and turning the student body into mindless clones, it is the characters that cemented my love for this film. You have the hip rebel who turns out to be the little genius. The goth chick who everyone thinks is a lesbian, but really turns out to be a sports junky in love with the school jock. Or the dumb school jock who is tired of being so popular who just wants to focus on his studies and living a normal life. Or the school geek who is constantly put upon by everyone else who in reality is the hero. These characters and the hidden sides that they can't show to everyone else, except during the middle of an alien invasion of course, creates an intimacy with the viewer. I think everyone can relate to every struggle these characters are facing within themselves at one point or another. What they are about, who they are, it resonates. For a film that was marketed as a cool, happening, trendy little flick, The Faculty has surprisingly well defined characters that you actually give two cents about. That's why I always find myself revisiting this film. I feel like I know these people. Every time I go back to watch this film, it's like I'm revisiting old friends. And who doesn't like getting together with their friends. So here's to one of my favorites of the 90's - The Faculty.

4 comments:

Rabid Fox said...

Ah, I have this one laying around the house somewhere. The cast alone makes it a must watch, especially now to see how so many have gone on to better--or not so better for some--careers.

B-Movie Becky said...

Haha, couldn't agree more. I've seen this movie so many times and I never tire of it. I think it's true that you feel like you're revisiting old friends when you watch it. It may also be the timing of when it came out...I was in junior high I think, so these characters are nostalgic for me. :)

Mr. Johnny Sandman said...

I think the reason why this movie is such a pleasure for me is because the characters are such black and white stereotypes with an edge. It's sort of Hollywoodized but it's very true. The film pokes fun at high school and the notion that your teacher could be from outer space. Plus, I always thought of it as a tribute to alien invader movies of the 50s, like the movie mentions.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

my high school was just like it, so i can relate... okay some things were different... it was the 1980s and we put pennies in our show tips and crimped our hair...