Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Twitch of the Death Nerve - Splurge of the Week

My associate writer, Troy, just recently wrote a piece on Italian horror and it's impact ( http://www.bigdaddyhorrorreviews.com/2010/07/italian-horror-and-its-impact.html ) and other blogs have been writing about it a lot lately, so I thought it was time that I include a review on my favorite modern Italian horror film - Twitch of the Death Nerve.

A chain reaction of murders is set off when the residents of a small island start killing one another in an effort to commerically develop the island for themselves. A group of partying teens get caught up in the ordeal unfolding.

Influential, extravagant slasher from legendary horror director Mario Bava doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and is pretty much one gory killing after another, but it really doesn't matter. On it's own terms a tremendous success and the frontrunner to the slasher movement. The killings come fast and furious making one wonder as to how the next person is going to meet their maker. The direction and editing is dazzling featuring all kinds of innovative little tricks. The use of color is absolutely striking creating images and moments that linger long after the film is over with. The lush score gives the film an unexpected bit of sophistication. And to top it all off, the film has a perfectly wicked sense of humor with the film's best gag saved for last.

Usually, I perfer my films a bit more linear, but this is definately one exception as it takes everything I love about horror films and throws it all into one package. This isn't just my favorite Italian horror film, but it also ranks in my top 25 horror films of all time. A masterpiece of contemporary horror cinema.

AKA Carnage
AKA Bay of Blood
AKA The Last House on the Left, Part II

2 comments:

Jose Cruz said...

Gotta love the ending to this one. Nothing says "WTF?!" like two giggling children with a shotgun.

Franco Macabro said...

THis one is up next for me on my Bavathon, been watching lots of Bava lately....gotta say Ive fallen in love with some of his films.