Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Salvage (Screener Review)


Christmas Eve, and the residents of a quiet British cul-de-sac are suddenly plunged into a world of violence, terror and paranoia when a group of heavily armed military personnel storm their road ordering them at gunpoint to retreat inside their homes.
Unsure if this is the sign of a terrorist attack, or something much worse, one local mother finds it in herself to desperately fight to save her estranged daughter stranded across the street. However, with growing dread, the residents soon discover that the threat is more monstrous than any of them could possibly imagine, and survival is no longer a guarantee...

This was a film that pulled me into the story and kept me in it till the end (although the end left me wanting a bit more). The story is very well written, it's acted pretty good, and when there is a gore scene, it's very well done and not cheesy at all. The main character's reaction to her daughter's predicament is very strong and passionate, although I felt she should have taken less time to snoop around and more time looking for her (yet again another film that left me yelling at the screen!). The buildup of suspense is really good and it's one of the few indie films I've seen that I felt had a real horror atmosphere throughout. It has certain scenes that make the hair on the back of your hair stand on end. It really had a bit of everything I love in good horror films (suspense, emotion, action, gore, and a great story) all rolled into a single film. Sure it had it's flaws (a bit slow at times) but overall it's one of the best indie horror flicks I've seen and deserves a look. Check it out HERE!

2 comments:

Bill Dan Courtney said...

I think I will give this one I go. I am looking for filme to just waste away an evening with lately. Nothing to change my life. Thanks...

Bill @ The Uranium Cafe

Sam Hain said...

Sometimes I have a bit of trouble understanding the English accent, did you have any trouble with that?