Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dollar Bin Horror Spotlight - Kings of the Dead (Book Review and Interview)


One man's journal documenting his efforts at surviving a zombie apocalypse while attempting to keep his family, friends and sanity intact.

Have you ever heard anyone say they don't want the H1N1 shot cause of some government conspiracy (like my dad)? Well don't let them read this, or they might just shit their pants! The H1N1 not only kills you, but turns you into a flesh eating zombie! In Tony Faville's debut novel, he documents the trials of one man in the post-apocalyptic world. It's structured like a journal, and reads like a journal. It's not flawless (a few grammatical and spelling errors, and felt rushed in a few spots), but it's intriguing, easy to read, and most importantly, enjoyable and fun! Plus he wrote it in 22 days as part of a contest...that's right folks, 22 days! I think zombie and horror fans will get a kick out of this book, so I encourage you to pick up a copy, It is available at Amazon but you can also buy a signed copy directly from Tony (how cool is that!).

Tony was even nice enough to answer a few questions for all you little reaplings!

Q: What inspired you to write this book?

A: Well, I have always been interested in writing, I just never took that leap. When my wife told me on November 3rd about NaNoWriMo, or the National Novel Writing Month, I decided to go for it. 22 days worth of writing later, I was finished and a "winner" of the 2009 NaNoWriMo.

Q: Let's talk about the writing process. The book is structured like a journal, but when you wrote this, did you write large parts at a time, or more as a journal (day by day)?

A: Since I only had the month of November to write it, I wrote as much as I could write every day. Although, I do have to admit, when Left 4 Dead 2 came out on November 17th, I kind of lost 4 days of writing to the game. There were some nights I would knock out 1,000 words and some I would knock out 2,000. When I got down to the final weekend I had 14,500 words left and wasn't quite sure if I could finish it. My wife basically locked me in my office and told me, yes you can!

Q: Why a Zombie book?

A: I am a firm believer that you should write what you know. There are a lot of people jumping on the zombie bandwagon because they are so hot right now, they can make a quick buck. I have been a fan of the zombie genre for close to 30 years, I know the genre and I love it. If I were to write a book about knitting, well, not that I would, but you get my drift. Zombies are my thing, so it was only natural to write about them.

Q: What are you working on now and where can we learn more?

A: I am working on a prequel/sequel to the first book. It will be surrounding an individual mentioned in the epilogue of the first book named Ezra Blake. Written in the narrative style, leaving the journal format behind, and focusing on him, his history, and his actions during the zombie apocalypse.
I have a facebook fan page for Kings of the Dead and I also have my Amazon.com author page that will be receiving occasional updates.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Looks good. I might check it out

Rabid Fox said...

Zombies or knitting: I can see how he chose zombies. :)

A nice review and interview. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.