Saturday, March 6, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Review


I don't get to go to the theaters to often, but when I do, I wanna see a good film. This, my little reaplings, was just fun to see. The premise of the film is this :19-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny; to end the Red Queen's reign of terror. The film is directed by the great Tim Burton and stars both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, and when I say stars, I mean it. These two gave the most entertaining performances of the film. Johnny's Mad Hatter has such a sympathetic, yet totally insane feel to him. When he has a flashback to the way Wonderland used to be, his emotions are so strong and you really feel for him. But when he goes mad, its funny and amusing, as Depp always is. Helena Bonham Carter's Red Queen is just wicked. Animal hating, mean, angry...the perfect Red Queen. I thought her acting was spot on and this is probably my favorite role of hers ever. Miss Anne Hathaway played the White Queen, and she was just funny. You can tell the White Queen is a bit crazy like her sister just by the way she moves. It was very cute and fun. And of course, you have Alice herself, played by Mia Wasikowska. I thought she did a pretty good job here. She wasn't too crazy and was strong in the role.
The film itself was visually stunning with a simple plot theme; good verses evil. The effects were absolutely amazing to the eye and brought out Burton's dark and funny feeling of Wonderland. The 3D was there to pretty much enhance those effects, and for the most part did it's job. There were a few parts of the film where I wished the 3D did more, but it was still enjoyable. A lot of critics didn't like how basic the plot was compared to the original Lewis Carrol books, but I don't wanna see a film that confuses the hell outta me (like those books did when I was younger!) I liked how the movie was easy on the mind because it makes it good for children to watch it, while the visuals and strong acting performances give the adults something to love (The moat with the floating severed heads though, you might have to explain that to the kiddies). Overall, this film was fun to watch and I would absolutely recommend you go see it!

4 comments:

Scare Sarah said...

I found the original quite depressing and stressful to watch as a kid. (I was a highly strung kid!) I would watch this though, it looks beautifully shot.

Aleata Illusion(GoreGoreDancer) said...

I'm going to see it today. I thought it actually looks bad. I wasn't a fan of his more recent movies. But I always need to give every movie a chance!

Great review Rhonny!

B-Sol said...

I'm going to see it today--I've been intrigued since I first heard about the project! Looks like Lewis Carroll meets C.S. Lewis...

HorrO said...

I thought this was a good movie, especially visually. Johnny was great, but didn't care much for Anne as the White Queen. The Red queen was classic, and I really liked the card soldiers.